It is important for us to understand the differences between men and women in weight loss as men are biologically different from women. Generally, most women struggle with weight more than most men. One of my female friends claims that female feel stressed and demotivated when they try to lose weight together with their partners. In her case, it seems that her husband can lose weight easily even in his sleep but she starves herself all week long and does not even lose a pound.
Do you have the same above experience as well? That is why we need to understand the differences between men and women in weight loss. This will help you (or your partner) feel more confident on your weight loss schedule and thus will not simply give up in any program for weight loss.
Below are 5 differences between men and women in weight loss:
1) Women naturally have a higher percentage of body fat than men. Men require only 3% essential body fat to properly function the body while women require 12% of essential body fat due to their reproductive organs and breasts.
2) One of the differences between men and women is women go through menopause. This will double the loss of lean muscle and cause slower metabolism. As the results, women will face higher challenge in losing weight unless they understand the benefits of strength training to build lean muscle and increase their metabolism.
3) Women have common fear towards strength training. They think they are going to get big lurks at the body if they perform strength training, while this is completely not true. In fact, strength training helps women shrink and look fitter than any time.
4) Another one of differences between men and women is men do not have pregnancy issue. Some women gain too much weight during pregnancies. It is acceptable for a female to gain weight of 12kg to 16kg while pregnant, but there are some women who have gained 20kg, 25kg, 30kg or even more during their pregnancies. At the end, they need to put extra hard work in weight loss job after the pregnancy is over.
5) Women have less lean muscle tissue than men. As lean muscle can burn 16 times more calories than body fat, this is one of the reasons why men can consume more calories than women. The condition becomes worse when women diet without doing strength training. Their lean muscle tissues will be cannibalized accordingly, and thus cause a slower metabolism. This mean they need to eat even lesser or else they could gain weight easily.
Understanding the differences between men and women in weight loss will help you to understand better about yourself and thus you could have a better weight loss plan. Get more tips on weight loss in a healthy weight loss program, and include a balance diet as well as performing the right exercise if you are really serious about losing weight.