A good diet during menstruation cycle is very important for the health and wellness of women. The health of a woman during her menstruation years has always been an issue of concern for all. This is because during menstruation, a woman’s body goes through various hormonal changes and fluctuations. Often prone to weakness, it is necessary that women take care of their nutritional needs during this time.
Menstrual cramps, emotional mood swings, iron deficiency and craving for fatty food are common complaints among women of all ages, that to especially before or during their menstruation. However, a healthy diet can help overcome such.
Some foods that are to be included in the diet of women during their menstruation cycle are:
- During Pre menstruation syndrome or PMS, women tend to crave for and binge on unhealthy food. But eating a healthy protein rich diet helps them overcome such and also help losing weight. Food like lean meat and nuts can be incorporated in meals.
- Food high in salt and sugar are to be avoided as these result in weight gain and PMS trouble. Processed and packaged items are to be avoided as well.
- Food rich in essential fatty acids are good for PMS. Seafood like salmon and mackerel are rich in omega 3 and omega 6 and are essential for a healthy body.
- Dairy products release prostaglandins in our body. Eliminating certain items like eggs, dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt ease women during menstruation. High cholesterol food like red meat is also to be avoided.
- Women lose almost 1 mg of iron every day during their menstruation cycle. Hence food rich in iron, calcium and magnesium, like fish, lean chicken, legumes, cereals, nuts, whole grains and green leafy vegetables are to be included in the diet.
- Supplements like flaxseed oil, iron, fish oil, omega 3 and vitamins also benefit women during their menstruation days. However, these supplements are to be taken only under the advice and consultation of the doctor.
- Certain items like caffeine and alcohol elevate PMS symptoms among women. Hence such products are to be completely dismissed from the diet plan.
- Including a good dose of fresh fruits is essential for women during menstruation and also help in healthy weight loss.
- Intake of plenty of water is highly recommended to ease menstrual pain and cramps.
- Some exercise is also necessary for a healthier menstruation cycle. This helps in release of endorphins in the body that acts as natural sedatives. Exercise also helps overcome stress. This helps in overall well being of women.
- Dark chocolate is a healthy option to treat the sweet tooth and sugar cravings during menstruation. The antioxidants present in dark chocolate is said to help a woman’s mood.
- Junk food is to be avoided as they add on unnecessary calories and makes you feel sluggish and bloated.
A healthy diet goes a long way in a healthy menstruation cycle. The key to a painless and healthy life is a balanced lifestyle, exercise and a good diet during menstruation cycle.